The economy is rough, but even in good times, it's wise to save money when and where you can. What are your little tricks for saving a few pennies here and there? Share the wealth, Viners!!
Here are some of mine:
1. Shut your engine off if you are idling for more than 10 seconds - like when a train is going by, your stuck in traffic that isn't moving, or the drive-thru and Wendy's is really long. Anymore than 10 seconds and it takes less gas to restart the car than sit there any longer.
2. Rinse and re-use tin foil (especially if it was just covering a leftover without touching it really). Fold it up and put it in a drawer to save for next time.
3. Coupons, people!! Use them!
4. Write letters (or emails, even better) to companies expessing your enjoyment or dissatisfaction with their products. They will often send you free samples or coupons.
5. Reusable plastic or steel containers for drinks instead of water or juice bottles.boxes. It saves a ton!
6. Water down your beverages. 40 grams of sugar in your juice!? It will taste just as sweet with 1/2 or even 1/2 of the flavor. Water it down and it will last twice as long (and you may even shed a llb or two)
7. Cold wash all of your clothes. They make a special detergent for it now and it will prevent your clothes from shrinking and also prevent color bleeding as an added bonus.
8. Use less toilet paper. You really don't need as much as you are....seriously. And don't forget to wash your hands!
9. Goodwill, Salvation Army, your local consignment shop. Never pay full price for clothes - especially baby clothes.
10. Motion sensitive night lights. Use them in your bathrooms, kitchen, and hallways. Especially at night, it stops you from having to turn on the real lights without you hurting yourself (or waking yourself up in the middle of night to use the bathroom).