Those of us involved in the art of performing know that the audience usually remembers two things: the beginning and the end. Therefore, a successful performance needs to begin and end well.
The beginning is the part that most performers forget to pay attention to when they do forget something. However, some performers really nail their openings and here are my top 5:
5. You know have to be a red wine drinking, classical music connoisseur to recognize the brilliance of this opening. Is there anyone whose ear doesn't perk up when they hear this introduction?
4. This song. Because you all know it. And old and young love to pretend they are playing it when it comes on. As a matter of fact, I turn my 9 month old son into a mini-guitar when I play this song. He loves it.
3. I like it when a feel good song begins with spoken words and it makes me laugh. Jimmy Buffet nails it with this intro. Clearly the Cosmic Baker took us all out a little too early! BTW - I formally refer to God as the "Cosmic Baker".
2. This intro literally blew my mind when I was around ten and heard it for the first time. I listened to it over and over again because lines like "a voice like a horny angel" are priceless at that age. Hell, they are priceless at any age. Meatloaf made a priceless spoken intro for this song. he was able to play notes...that he had never...even...heard before.
1. Lastly, this is my favorite spoken intro to any song. The song is killer, the intro is killer, the message is killer. The Doors rock. You CANNOT petition the Lord with prayer!! The beginning always reminded me of Willy Wonka...anyone?
So...which ones did I miss?